Tenant Rental Criteria & FAQs
Answers to your frequently asked questions
Good Rental History
- No history of late rental payments (COVID-related rental debt as defined under state law will be excluded from consideration).
- No conduct that unreasonably interferes with the quiet enjoyment of other residents or management operations.
- No damage to property in excess of ordinary wear and tear in excess of $1,000.00.
**Conditional acceptance policies – For applicants which meet all screening criteria but lack any verifiable rental history, we will conditionally approve the application upon the applicant paying a deposit of two times the rental rate.
Verifiable Gross IncomePlease note that all properties require EACH applicant to have a combined minimum verifiable gross income of at least (3) three times the monthly rent. We will accept all income which is lawful, verifiable, paid to a tenant, a representative of a tenant, or on behalf of a tenant (including all federal/state/local public assistance and subsidies, including but not limited to Section 8 and VASH vouchers). For applicants with government subsidies, any income to rent ratio will be based on the tenant portion of the rent and not the full rental rate.
Proof of income, e.g. (2) two recent pay stubs, (2) two most recent bank statements, (2) two years of most recent tax returns, proof of social security/disability/welfare/other government payments, proof of investments/trust income, proof of retirement income, proof of student loan/grant awards, court ordered income such as spousal/child support, Section 8/VASH vouchers/other forms of government assistance/rent subsidies, and/or any other written proof of lawful, verifiable income.
Credit HistoryEach resident over the age of 18 must have a minimum FICO score of 700. Additionally, the credit history must show that the resident has paid bills on time and does not have a history of debt write-offs or accounts that have gone into collection.
Prior to move in, a MOVE IN/MOVE OUT FORM will be completed which includes HD Video and photos. A copy of the written report will be provided to tenant(s) and the tenant(s) have (7) seven days to add any additional items and return this report to our office. Any missing or incomplete reports are subject to a $250 fee.
Typically, our units are ‘Rent Ready’ when we are showing them and will be rented in the condition you see them. If there is something cosmetic in nature that you want addressed prior to accepting a unit, this should be made known BEFORE signing your lease. Applicant is required to view the property prior to signing any lease. After the lease is signed, it is a binding agreement.
We understand that a pet plays a significant part in many people’s lives, so we strive to allow most animals in most of our rental properties. Please make sure to ask if the property that has caught your eye accepts pets. Breeds that are NOT accepted for Landlord Insurance Issues are as followed:
- Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Presa Canarios, Chows Chows, Doberman Pinschers, Akitas, Wolf-hybrids, Mastiffs, Cane Corsos, Great Danes, Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies, and any mix with these breeds.
- Maximum amount of animals per property shall not exceed 4, of any combination.
- Pet Rent is $25/month per pet.
- $500 per pet, deposit.
- Pet Profile to be completed at Pet Screening.com. Please note, we use a third-party pet/ no pet/ assistance animal verification service. ALL applicants must create a PET, NO PET, and/or an ASSISTANCE ANIMAL profile. Applicants should go to this link to complete the profile: https://gofivestarpm.petscreening.com
Equal Opportunity Housing CompanyAs a company, we do business in accordance with federal/state/local fair housing laws, and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex/gender, handicap/disability, familial status, national origin, source of income, primary language spoken, citizenship status, immigration status, gender identity/expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military/veteran status, perception, association, any arbitrary basis, and/or any other protected classes under federal, state, and/or local laws.
Location, location, locationThe diversity of living locations in the San Francisco Area is one of the area’s best assets. You can choose to live in a rural, suburban, or urban setting and still be within commuting distance of work. So, think about the type of community that best suits you as you are picking your next rental. No matter what kind of location you are looking for, Five Star Property Management has a rental to meet your needs. We manage homes in such diverse locations as:
- Novato, Mill Valley, and Sausalito in scenic Marin County;
- Bustling San Francisco – including super-hot SoMa and the trendy Mission District – walking distance to absolutely everything;
- Convenient, centrally-located Daly City; and
- The heart of Silicon Valley, including Redwood City, Mountain View, and Palo Alto.
What type of home?When you are in the market for a rental, your first thought might be to rent an apartment. But, there’s much more to choose from in the Bay Area than just apartment living. We manage everything from efficient privately owned condos in amenity-rich communities, to huge houses that offer all of the space and room to grow a large family needs. So, consider your space needs and your desired community amenities — such as pool, gym, business center, community room, roof deck, sauna, etc. – when narrowing down your choices.
Decide on your must-haves, nice-to-haves, and don't needs
Before you start looking for your ideal rental, make a list of the features you must have, would like to have, and don’t need at all. This will instantly help you narrow down your choices. Crucial to rental hunting in the Bay Area in particular is considering the importance of features like parking (including covered parking, garage parking, and reserved spots), in-home or on-site washer and dryer, backyard/ patio/ deck space, and overall square footage. These three factors alone will do a lot to point you towards the right rental.
For example, it can be hard to find a condo in San Francisco that comes with parking (though we do manage a few!), and very large homes with lots of square footage and backyard space are easier to find the further you get from the downtown areas of major cities like San Francisco, San Jose, and Oakland.
How to apply for your next Bay Area rental
Now that you’ve learned how to narrow your must-haves for your rental home, it’s time to check out what’s available. You can see our current “for rent” listings, including a map of locations, in the section above. To get more information about any particular listing, including the date and time of our next open house showing, just click on the “View Details” button.
Once you are ready to apply for one or more rental homes, simply click on the “Apply Now” button on the rental details page. Have questions about a specific rental? Use the “Contact Us” button on the rental details page to ask questions about that rental.
Don’t see the right rental for you in our current “for rent” listings area? Don’t give up – we likely have your perfect rental home, it’s just not quite ready for listing. Feel free to contact us with your rental wish list and we’ll let you know if we have something just right for you that will be available soon.
Things to know before renting with us
- DUE AT LEASE SIGNING
- Full Security Deposit and First Full Month’s Rent
- Proof of renters insurance
- Pet Rent of $25/month per pet, in addition to a $500/per pet deposit (if pets are approved and accepted at the property).
- RENT SHOULD PAID ONLINE VIA THE TENANTS PORTAL
- Rent is always due on the 1st
- Late fees will be applied at Midnight on the 3rd
- When funds are collected, late fees and outstanding balances will be paid before any funds are applied to current rent
- WE CONDUCT AN ANNUAL PROPERTY CONDITION REVIEW ON EACH PROPERTY
- We may use a 3rd party service to conduct the service
- Smoke Alarms will be tested
- Air Filters will be checked
- Access to EACH Room is required, including the garage and HVAC Closet. Photos of each room may be taken (Walls, Flooring, Light Fixtures, Smoke Alarms, Under Sinks, Air filters, Etc)
- DUE AT LEASE SIGNING
Can you hold a place before I apply?Rental properties will be offered to the first qualified applicant(s) with a complete application file. A complete application file consists of verification for all employment, income (regardless of source), previous residential history, credit report, background screening report, reasonable move in date, pet screening profile and verification of identity. A reasonable move in date is within 45 days from the application date.
You have a property I want to rent. How do I apply?Once you are ready to apply for one or more rental homes, simply click on the “Apply Now” button on the rental details page. Be prepared to upload a copy of your valid government issued photo identification, two most recent pay stubs and your completed Pet Profile. You will receive an email within (1) one business day letting you know the status of your application.
How do I pay rent?Five Star Property Management offers all residents the ability to pay rent and security deposits online 24/7 via Check, Debit or Credit card, thus eliminating the need to mail in or drop off payments! You can also view account information and create & track maintenance requests online from the comfort of your home or on the go with your mobile device!
My lease expiration is coming and I want to move out. What do I do?Tenants can give notice to move out on the Contact Us tab of the Online Portal. Our team will follow with further instructions within 1 business day.